Thursday, October 27, 2011

Day 7: Make a New Friend

Sometimes as we get older it seems it is harder to make new friends. It is comfortable to just hang with family or with people we have known for ages. But think of how many amazing people we are missing out on getting to know. How much we could grow as people with what others have to offer us. How much better the world could be if everyone was a little bit friendlier. I find it really difficult to put myself out there and meet new people, I would definitely not say I am shy, just very guarded, I guess. So for today,  I am taking a lesson from my kindergarten son who loves meeting new people and playing with new friends.

My son can't stop talking about a few of his friends from school, and at a recent family parade and potluck his school had I was able to meet a couple of the mom's of those kids. They were so easy to talk to and seemed just as excited as I was to meet the mom's of their kids playmates. So, this week all our kids have off for Fall Break and it just seemed natural to have them over for a playdate. It went fantastic! The kids and their siblings had a wonderful time and in 3 hours, with 9 kids, there was not one fight or tantrum (a couple accidental owies :), but nothing that a brownie couldn't quickly fix). My boys loved having them over and I thoroughly enjoyed talking and getting to know 2 new, what I hope to call, friends. We can't wait to do another playdate!!

As another side act we had some extra brownies, since I made 2 batches, so my big boys ran some over to our older next door neighbors! They loved doing a "special delivery". And the brownie recipe is so delicious and easy I will post it!

Simplest Homemade Fudgy Brownies

recipe from GoodLifeEats

Ingredients:

12 tablespoons Salted Butter
1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
2/3 cup cocoa powder
1/2 - 1 teaspoon pure vanilla, orange, or peppermint extract, optional
3 large eggs
1 cup flour
A heaping 1/2 cup chocolate chunks, optional 

Directions:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line an 8x8 or 9x9 square baking pan with parchment paper. Set aside.
Set a medium sized saucepan over medium-high heat and melt the butter. Next, add the granulated sugar and your choice extract. Stir well. Remove pan from heat and whisk in the cocoa powder.
In a separate bowl, lightly beat the eggs. Pour the chocolate mixture into the bowl and whisk in with the eggs until well combined. Stir in the flour and chocolate chunks, but do not beat.
Pour batter into the previously prepared baking pan. Bake at 350 degrees F for 30-40 minutes. Cool completely, on a wire rack.
Remove parchment paper (with brownies) from the pan. Peel away the parchment paper and cut the brownies into serving size pieces and store in an airtight container.

2 comments:

  1. Awwwe..Thanx, Angela! I'm not sure who enjoyed our visit more..the kids or Me :0)...can't wait for the next get together, new friend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay! We really had a GREAT time! You have a terrific family!

    ReplyDelete