Sunday, December 4, 2011

Day 45: Don't Rinse Your Dishes Before Dish Washing Them

We are not big users of our dishwasher, unless it is a really busy day, we have lots of company or I bake way more than I care to clean up after we tend to wash by hand. But yesterday I made food, was super busy and we had friends over so hand washing dishes just didn't happen. Instead, when I woke up this morning to a sink full of ignored dishes I decided it was a dishwasher day. So, I googled to see if there was anything I could do for my Good Human Act that would make my dish washing a little greener...and numerous sites actually had this idea as one of their top suggestions to help save the planet....don't rinse dishes before you dish wash them. So I didn't, I was afraid of stuck on food and messy dishes, but there was none! It worked better than I thought!

Here is a liitle information on why it is better not to rinse first from Vanity Fair's Save the Planet website:

Rinse No More

According to Consumer Reports, pre-rinsing dishes does not necessarily improve a dishwasher's ability to clean them. By skipping the wash before the wash, you can save up to 20 gallons of water per dishload. At one load a day, that's 7,300 gallons over the course of the year. Not to mention that you're saving time, dishwashing soap, and the energy used to heat the additional water.

No comments:

Post a Comment