Thursday, December 29, 2011

Day 70: Unplug Your Cell Phone Chargers

Today I looked online for a planet/energy conserving idea and found that leaving chargers (and small appliances) plugged in, even when they are not being used or charging, still drain energy. Today for my Good Human Act I went around my house an unplugged everything that I didn't need right then. We have 3 cell phone chargers plugged in but only charge our phones at night...unplugged, I keep our dust buster plugged and hardly ever use it...unplugged, I have my stand mixer plugged in even though I am not baking at the moment...unplugged,  baby monitors we only use at night...unplugged, treadmill I use only when it is too cold to run outside... unplugged, Christmas tree we will only have up for a few more days...unplugged, blow dryer/diffuser I try to avoid using unless I have to go outside soon after a shower and don't want to freeze my head off...unplugged. Now I can plug any of this stuff in when I need it and will try my hardest to remember to unplug it when I am done!

Here is a bit of information about leaving cell phone chargers plugged in from Vanity Fairs 50 Ways to Help Save the Planet:

Turn Off Your Chargers

Most cell-phone chargers continue to draw electricity even when the phone isn't plugged into it. If your cell-phone charger averages five watts per hour and is plugged in all the time, that means a total of more than 40 kilowatt-hours every year, or about 93 pounds of CO2. The same problem applies to your other electronic equipment—your laptop, iPod, digital camera, and BlackBerry. Unplug all your chargers when they are not in use.

2 comments:

  1. Angela, this is such a great blog! I'm so proud of what you are doing. I think you should write a colum for the local newspaper!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Ina! I really appreciate your support.

    ReplyDelete