Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Day 19: Energy Smart Light Bulbs

I was looking online for simple ideas to help the planet and their were tons of them on tons of different sites. One suggestion that kept recurring as an easy and very beneficial quick fix was changing you light bulbs to Compact Flourescent (CFL) Bulbs. One site with information about these bulbs says:

If you want to change the world, start by changing a few light bulbs. It is one of the best things you can do for the environment—and your budget.
According to the Union of Concerned Scientists, if every U.S. household replaced just one regular incandescent light bulb with a compact fluorescent light bulb, it would prevent 90 billion pounds of greenhouse gas emissions from power plants, the equivalent of taking 7.5 million cars off the road. And the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency says that by replacing regular light bulbs with compact fluorescent light bulbs at the same minimal rate, Americans would save enough energy to light more than 2.5 million homes for a year.
With this in mind, for today's Good Human Act I went to Sam's Club and bought 2 eight packs of the lights. Each pack was only $7.62, much cheaper than I thought they would be. I was going to buy the much nicer looking version of these bulbs, the ones that look like actual light bulbs but they were 2 bulbs for almost $20. So, beauty be damned, I'll stick with the curly ones. I have changed the dead bulbs in my house already and  these new bulbs are surprisingly bright, I am finding that in a 4 light ceiling fan 2 of these bulbs does more than the 4 we previously had, which seems to be just another way they can help you save:) I will continue replacing all the old bulbs in our house as they die out until eventually we have a completely Compact Fluorescent Light Bulb lit house.

2 comments:

  1. I was wanting to do that but I also thought it was a lot more expensive, We will go and get some too, I have 3 burn outs and that is so annoying....

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was surprised they were so reasonably priced. They are suppose to last for a really long time too, so less burn outs!!

    ReplyDelete