Thursday, November 17, 2011

Day 28: Carpool

We are fortunate enough to have gotten my son into a great Charter School, unfortunately it is a bit far away. The hardest part of deciding to go to this school was committing to the drive! Man, driving the first week all 10 times (to and from x5 days) was rough and had me questioning my dedication to this awesome school. Luckily we have a friend who sends her kids there and she agreed to carpool with us and a couple weeks into the school year another friend of hers got into the school as well so we all share the drives! It makes it so much better, we don't have to forfeit a great education now because of distance. And driving 4 times a week seems so few! Today was not our usual day for carpool and we had an extra kiddo so I decided to count it as my Good Human Act. We try to carpool as much as possible, we have a huge vehicle so it just makes sense. And not only is it convenient and fun for the kids to ride with their friends, it is also so beneficial for the planet!

A website I found called Ride Solutions had a nice paragraph on Why it is Good to Carpool:
Transportation, although a necessity, has a negative impact on the environment. The two greatest concerns are centered on energy conservation and air pollution. Since there is not an unlimited supply of oil for gas, we must all do our part to conserve energy. Conserving will also help us become less dependent on foreign oil. Due to the ever-increasing number of single occupancy vehicles (SOVs) on the road, our air is being polluted by harmful vehicle emissions. Ridesharing will help to solve both of these environmental problems. By carpooling, vanpooling, using transit, walking, or biking to work we will use less energy and pollute less. Won't you do your part to help?


Our Carpool Kids!

3 comments:

  1. I love your blog, and love that you like to write (and you do it well!)

    In the early 70's I had three stair-step kids like you do, but I was at the disadvantage of having a husband who worked 80+ hrs every week and wasn't around much. I found myself going crazy for adult human contact--I was afraid that if I didn't do something I would go crazy, so I found myself a good babysitter and I went back to nursing school.

    That husband who worked those long hours (and smoked, and drank) managed to give himself a heart attack and he died in 1973--I was 28 yrs old and my kids were 4, 5, and 7.

    If I have learned anything at all, though, it is that everything happens because it was supposed to, and I and my kids survived and prevailed.

    Martha Newman

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your blog! I remember being the young mother of stair-steps like yours, and I remember how hard it was.

    Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Martha! Wow, I can't imagine going through that, you are amazing! Saw your quilting website the other day, how do you find the time, your stuff looks great!

    ReplyDelete